Friday, September 18, 2020

Early Wiring

I followed the advice of one of the amp gurus and hung paper copies of my layout and schematic behind the work table so I can easily check my work against design before I do it.



I worked on a number of controls I can do prior to their installation in the chassis - it's easier to solder components between the tiny lugs of a switch when the switch is held in a little clamp right at sternum-level, rather than mounted in the chassis, maybe at an odd angle or buried under other stuff. That included jumpers and resistors on some of the tube sockets, 


bypass capacitors on the volume pots, as well as resistors and common grounds on the set of 4 mode switches for the input channels. 




I installed the IEC connector (wall power input receptacle), main fuse, on/off switch and lamp, and went on to installed the main transformer, output transformer, and choke and pulled some wires around. This power transformer is truly a thing of beauty, and will power everything in the amp including a variety of heavier than usual (for the Bassman) power tubes - here's the wiring diagram: 


I grounded all the center taps (CTs) to the main PT ground (center of pic below), connected the line-in power to the PT and on/off switch, and did some testing to make sure all the voltages were as they should be. 



Then hooked up the lamp ...  the first bit of work my amp has done - yay! 





No comments:

Post a Comment