Monday, September 28, 2020

Input Jacks and front panel controls

I'm in the midst of pre-soldering a bunch of components and leads onto the input jacks and switches before installing them, so I don't have to do as much work in a tight space. This includes the "top" of the pre-amp ground buss - the thick bare wire running over top of the jacks, that will connect to the pre-amp ground on the circuit board. 


Unfortunately, after taking this picture and admiring/examining it, I realized I soldered the wrong terminals of the two input jacks onto the ground, so will have to un-solder and re-do it. Oh, well... it isn't the first time I've had to do that, and won't be the last I'm sure.

To prevent more of that, and just to be extra sure I wasn't missing anything critical in my thinking about how to set up the Mode switch, I re-checked my map of signal paths for all cases of channel used and switch position. The diagram excludes two of them: selecting the Cascade mode when plugged into the Normal Ch is not something I'll ever do since (1) the signal flow is designed purposely to go the other way, with tone shaping, voltage dividers and bias options on V1B that assume it will be the second gain stage in this mode, and (2) though it will work technically, it will probably result in a very low-power signal and an ungrounded grid on the Lead Ch, which may introduce noise. And only one Jumpered mode is shown - the second is identical to the one shown, just with the signal coming in via a different jack, so will be electronically identical.




Although I did this a few months back, it might be interesting for you to see where I worked out how the mechanical switch would address the various logical combinations/requirements of the mode switching. I wanted a 3 position toggle switch to do the job, and the one I found has twelve terminals (the round dots) with blades that connect them (the thick dark vertical lines) in various combinations. When the switch down, four blades connect each pair of terminals in the top and middle rows. When the switch is centered, the first and last blades slide down to connect first and last terminals of the bottom row with their middle row partners. And when the switch is up, The four blades connect each pair of terminals in the bottom and middle rows. Given that system, and knowing the logical requirements of my circuit, it was fairly straight forward to figure out whether and how the switch could work. 


 









No comments:

Post a Comment