After one last validation of the schematic to the layout and the layout to what I've actually done so far, everything seems to be in order. I labeled the leads hanging off the circuit board and laid the board in where it goes, then sorted out pathways of the wires underneath board to untangle them, minimize crossing, and to make sure there was enough length in each wire before starting to solder the connections.
The first connections to solder were the grounds running from each ground rail (see star grounding on Aiken's website), and the B+ leads to each filter capacitor for each power supply stage. Once I wired in the first stage filter caps (the big blue things), I tested them to confirm I had the full "unloaded" DC voltage I should have at the top of that circuit - a few weeks/steps ago, I had tested the rectifiers and found that without the rest of the filter circuit, they produced well under 400 volts, so was relieved to confirm that with the filter caps and choke in place, close to the right voltage was present. I also tested the bleeder resistor (you see it nestled between the two caps) and confirmed it drains the circuit of stored high voltage down to a safe level, about a minute after I switch the power off.
Then I completed all the front panel connections I could. The junctions and wires you see still unconnected also involve wires that connect to the tube sockets or elsewhere, so I'll complete those when I have those wires ready to go.






No comments:
Post a Comment