I fired it up with the "lamp limiter" in place (200w lightbulb in series with the incoming AC power, allows full voltage, but limits the maximum current that can be drawn by the amp, preventing damage from major shorts, etc.), first with no tubes, then with tubes installed... No smoke or fire! always a welcome sign. I measured voltage in some important spots and found things to be in line with readings from my test board set-up. Here's the working circuit:
Removed lamp limiter and plugged in a guitar, and (once again, shockingly) everything seems to work as it should. Stereo master volumes, OD channel and pre-amp switches work as expected, all controls, work fine. Well, almost - I had to fix one error, and make one adjustment: I had mis-wired some jumpers on the left and right channel volume pots such that the dials worked in reverse - an easy fix. Also, because I implemented a slightly different DC filter design than I had in my test board, the screen voltage on the power tubes was lower than expected, lowering the max output of the tubes, and (as we learned in an earlier post) compressing the signal slightly. So I reduced the resistance in one part of the filter circuit, and that fixed it. Here are some "final" pics, tho the OD circuit will probably need some tweaking as I play with it more.
... with chassis installed back in the cabinet.



No comments:
Post a Comment