Friday, August 20, 2021

Design and Build Progress

Been chipping away at it. 

I decided to make the circuit (turret) boards myself since, for this build, they are pretty straight forward, and I have the materials, so why not. I was delayed on starting due to a few bits of missing hardware (screws and nuts, cap clamp, wire), but was able to get going recently. After reviewing my schematic for about the 50th time, and validating it against my layout plan, I started the build and have made good progress, with no big problems so far.

(schematic v.8.3)

  

(layout v.8.3)

I started with the transformers, power supply and pilot light.

(Power supply, On/Off switch, fuses, pilot light wiring)

(Transformers installed for real and leads pulled and trimmed)

(turret boards dry-mounted) 

Then the tube filaments. 

(red and grey wire pairs serving the heaters for each tube socket)

And recently completed populating and installing the power amp circuit board. 

(top view of rear board in progress)

(bottom view of rear board)

(rear circuit board installed, power tube sockets wired)

I also completed the wiring of the power tube sockets and the DC power supply up to the second filter capacitor. I was getting odd results when doing some early testing, and discovered that the power transformer doesn't really start working like it should until you connect in the first reservoir capacitor.  Once I did that I was able to confirm my bias and heater elevation circuits were working as designed, and got expected voltages (much higher now with no working load than they will be later) at the power tube plates and screens. 


No comments:

Post a Comment